Search Engine URLs with Magic SEO URL on IIS
23 Dec 2008
This article describes a detailed, step-by-step guide for enabling Search Engine Friendly URLs with Magic SEO URL on IIS web server.
This solution requires IIS Mod-Rewrite Pro and IIS 6.0 or later, and it works with Magic SEO URL version date 2008-04-16 or later.
To enable Search Engine URLs with Magic SEO URL on IIS, follow these steps:
- Install IIS Mod-Rewrite Pro (download).
- If on production environment, activate IIS Mod-Rewrite using a valid license key. If activation is skipped, IIS Mod-Rewrite will work in test mode and you will need to restart IIS every 30 minutes or 1000 requests, if your testing exceeds these limits.
- Install the target Magic SEO URL compatible base web application, such as osCommerce, ZenCart, CRE Loaded, CubeCart, phpBB, or phpBB3, following the vendor's instructions.
- Install Magic SEO URL add-on according to the verdor's intructions.
- It is strongly recommended that you use the latest version of Magic SEO URL. If you are indeed using the latest version, you can simply ignore this step. However, if your version date is prior to 2008-04-16 and after 2008-02-18, you must open IIS Mod-Rewrite Control Center, go to Settings > Engine Settings, uncheck the checkbox "Use default header name", and type the value X-Rewrite-URL in the field "Header name". If your Magic SEO URL version is even older, this solution cannot work unless you upgrade to the latest version.
- Make sure IIS has sufficient access rights to the file .htaccess located in the web application's root directory. The user group IIS_WPG (if running on IIS 6), or the user group IIS_IUSRS (if running on IIS 7), or the current Application Pool's Identity User must have at least "read" access rights to the ".htaccess" file or to the directory that contains this file.
After, completing all the steps above, your Magic SEO URL enhanced web application will fully serve Search Engine URLs, and your website's SEO will be drastically improved.